In the Makeshift Theater
5 pm Connecticut High School Poets perform
In the Sunken Garden
6 pm Fresh Voices Student Poetry Competition winners perform
6:45 pm Musical performance
7:15 pm Ocean Vuong performs
8 pm Book Signing
For additional Poetry Events, see our Calendar.
- $12 advance online purchase, $15 at the gate, ages 18 and under free.
- Tickets for opening night are $20 advance online and $25 at the gate.
- Parking is always free.
- Bring a lawn chair or blanket for seating in and around the garden.
- Join Hill-Stead’s Live Poets Society to receive premier reserved seating. For more information, see Live Poets Society Benefits 2017.
- Al fresco dining is allowed on the grounds.
- Festival attendees are welcome to bring their own picnic suppers.
- Food, wine and other beverages may also be purchased on site from gourmet food vendors.
Ocean Vuong is the author of Night Sky With Exit Wounds, winner of the 2016 Whiting Award. Vuong also has two chapbooks: No and Burnings. A Ruth Lilly fellow from the Poetry Foundation, Ocean has received honors and awards from Poets House, the Elizabeth George Foundation, the Civitella Ranieri Foundation, the Saltonstall Foundation for the Arts, the Academy of American Poets and a Pushcart Prize.
The Fresh Voices Poetry Competition offers students the opportunity to write and prepare poems suitable for presentation and publication. Since 1993, student poets from all corners of Connecticut have entered this competition and mentoring program. Fresh Voices winners perform their work in the Sunken Garden on Young Poets Day each season.